Frequently Asked Questions
Who teaches the Biodesign Faculty Fellowship program?
The Biodesign Innovation Fellowship is led by Tom Krummel, Stanford Biodesign’s Co-Director, and Ryan Van Wert, Assistant Fellowship Director. Many other Biodesign faculty members also participate, along with academic innovators and experts from the health technology industry.
How many Faculty Fellows will be selected for 2017?
Eight. Given the high level of personalized coaching and mentoring each fellow receives, we are able to accommodate a limited number of participants each year.
How many applications do you receive, and how many people do you interview?
We expect to receive 15-20 applications and will interview approximately 10-12 individuals.
When is the application deadline?
All applications must be received – with a Division Chief/Department Chair signature and the applicant’s CV – by close of business on Friday, September 30, 2016.
When will selection decisions be announced?
All applicants will be notified of the selection decisions on or before Friday, October 14, 2016.
Why is my Division Chief/Department Chair’s signature required?
Your Division Chief/Department Chair will be required to allow time for you to participate in the program. S/he will also be asked to help underwrite the cost of the training experience ($7,500 per faculty member). We will be talking with the Division Chiefs and Department Chairs to make them aware of these requirements. However, if you would like us to contact yours directly, please don’t hesitate to let us know.
How many hours per week should I expect to devote to the program?
From January through May, you should expect to spend an average of 5-8 hours per week on class attendance (or self-paced video viewing), reading, project assignments, and small group workshops.
What is the schedule for all required sessions?
Once selected, all Biodesign Faculty Fellows will be required to attend the following sessions:
- Kick-off meeting and training "boot camp" at the d.school – November 15 from 12:30-7:00 pm
- Wednesday workshops at Biodesign (dinner provided) –
- January 18 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- January 25 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- February 8 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- February 15 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- February 22 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- March 1 from 5:30-7:00 pm (at the d.school)
- March 8 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- March 22 from 5:00-8:00 pm (final presentations for winter quarter)
- March 29 from 5:30-7:00 pm (in the Biodesign Collab)
- April 19 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- April 26 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- May 10 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- May 17 from 5:30-7:00 pm
- May 31 from 5:00-8:00 pm (final presentations for spring quarter)
- June 19 from 5:30-7:00 pm (debrief and celebration)