Our Venture Partners help shape educational program development and participate as speakers and moderators at Biodesign events. Venture Partners may also assist with market evaluation and technology assessment as well as providing contacts and resources for development/incubation of new technologies. For more information about the Biodesign Venture Partners Program, please contact Gordon Saul by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Founded in 1979, Advanced Technology Ventures (ATV) is a bi-coastal
venture capital firm with more than $1.4 billion in capital
under management. We work closely with entrepreneurial teams
in several technology markets, including communications, infrastructure,
software and services, consumer technology, biopharmaceuticals,
medical devices and emerging technologies, to build emerging-growth
business ventures into market leaders. With more than 25 years
of experience, ATV has a proven track record of success in helping
to build strong, sustainable business enterprises.
- Contact Advanced Technology Ventures:
- 485 Ramona
Street, Palo Alto, CA 94301
- At Artiman Ventures, we focus our energies on helping talented entrepreneurs commercialize leading edge technologies to create world class companies. We are actively involved with our entrepreneurs from the earliest stages of company creation in distilling ideas and opportunities, brainstorming, refining business plans, building high energy teams, developing channel partners and customers, and syndicating venture financings.
- Contact Artiman Ventures:
- 2000 University Ave, Suite 602, East Palo Alto, CA 94303
- The partners at Delphi Ventures help build healthcare companies. Delphi has been
the lead or co-lead investor in more than 75% of its investments. Delphi prefers
to be active in its investments, taking Board seats and working closely with
our companies' management teams. We provide capital, contacts and leadership.
While most of our investments are in the western U.S., we are willing to invest
anywhere in the U.S. under the proper circumstances. Delphi focuses its
investments on medical devices and diagnostics, biotechnology, and healthcare
- Contact Delphi Ventures:
- 3000 Sand Hill Road,
Building 1, Suite 135, Menlo Park, CA 94025
- De Novo Ventures, founded in 2000, invests in early stage
life science companies that focus on therapeutic medical devices
and biotechnology. These include emerging device opportunities
in cardiology, neurology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, plastics,
gastroenterology, pulmonology, and biotech companies with initial
human clinical experience. De Novo has $350 million under management
and its portfolio includes over 20 medical device and biotechnology
compan ies. Located in Palo Alto, California, the firm invests
nationally with a focus on the Western US. De Novo Ventures
is highly regarded among active entrepreneurs because of its
team's significant operating and investment experience. As
entrepreneurs, the fund managers personally have founded or
co-founded 10 companies including Advanced Cardiovascular Systems,
CardioThoracic Systems, Origin Medsystems, Gynecare, and Perclose.
De Novo Ventures encourages young companies to take a look at
the substantial impact that its team can have on their businesses.
- Contact De Novo Ventures:
- 400 Hamilton Ave, Suite 300, Palo Alto, CA 94301
David Mauney, MD
- HLM Venture Partners is a proven, successful venture capital health care
investor. Over 60 privately held health care companies have benefited from
our expertise, resources and commitment. Emerging health care companies can
be confident that HLM Venture Partners’ longevity, integrity and reputation
will be invaluable assets as we work together to transform their innovative
ideas into market-leading businesses.
- Contact HLM Venture Partners:
- 201 Mission Street, Suite 2240
San Francisco, CA 94105
- Intellectual Ventures is building an active market for invention that brings together expertise and capital, and links buyers with sellers. We see great opportunities for inventors, companies, investors, partners, and world economies to benefit from a global market for invention.
Our goal is to develop a more efficient and dynamic invention economy, establishing an invention capital system. We build, buy, and collaborate to create inventions. We supply those inventions to innovative companies through a variety of licensing and partnering programs. We believe an active market for invention and ideas will energize technological progress, potentially changing the world for the better.
- Contact Intellectual Ventures:
- 3150 139th Ave SE, Building 4, Bellevue, WA 98005
- InterWest invests an average of about 5 million
dollars over the span of our involvement with each company in our
portfolio. We invest in companies through the full range of venture
investment stages, and investments may be staged over several rounds
of financing. Although we generally begin our involvement in the
early stages of a company's development, we pursue attractive
opportunities based on their individual merits rather than their
investment stage. InterWest is the lead investor in more than
70-percent of the investments we make, reflecting our ability to
marshal resources and organize financings on behalf of our portfolio
companies. We maintain relationships with our portfolio companies for
an average of 4 years and in some cases for 10 years or more. An
InterWest general partner serves as a director for 85-percent of the
companies in our portfolio, often continuing to serve even after the
partnership's investment in the company has been returned. This high
level of personal commitment enables us to deliver on our fundamental
promise to the entrepreneurs we back: to add value beyond the capital
- Contact Interwest Partners:
- 2710 Sand Hill Road, Second Floor, Menlo Park, CA 94025
Dr. Arnold Oronsky
- With over $330 million in capital under management, Kearny Venture Partners is a venture capital firm exclusively focused on healthcare products. We believe that the opportunity for entrepreneurs to devise innovative solutions in healthcare has never been greater. Significant unmet needs in healthcare continue to persist, representing large potential market opportunities for safe and effective products. As the molecular basis of disease is increasingly unraveled, new opportunities for intervention emerge. Novel therapies can and will displace incumbent products.
- Contact Kearny Venture Partners:
- 88 Kearny Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94108-5530
- In 1972, KPCB began offering entrepreneurs a broader philosophy of value-added investing: not merely access to capital, but access to people. A partnership with experienced industry leaders who recognize, challenge, and even improve on a brilliant idea. We believe that we must earn the right to advise entrepreneurs on a daily basis, by intellectually committing to deliver the best ideas of which we are capable. We are here to build on your vision. Strengthen strategic thinking. Tap the industry network. Access talent. Pull strings. Sew up financing. And stick with you through every challenge along the way.
- Contact Kleiner Perkins:
- 2750 Sand Hill Road Menlo Park CA 94025
Dana Mead, PhD
- Founded in 2006, Longitude Capital is a venture capital firm that invests in medical device and biotechnology companies developing products that address important unmet medical or economic needs in the life sciences industry.
Longitude’s investment team has more than 100 years of industry experience and has invested in over 100 life sciences companies. We are active, lead investors who work closely with portfolio companies to achieve corporate objectives and build value for our limited partners.
Our inaugural fund, the $325,000,000 Longitude Venture Partners, L.P., was closed in 2008. Our offices are in Menlo Park, California and Greenwich, Connecticut.
- Contact Longitude Capital:
- 800 El Camino Real,
Menlo Park, CA 94025
- For nearly 30 years, the Mohr Davidow team has invested in disruptive startups and worked closely with exceptional entrepreneurs to create venture returns by developing and bringing to market technology-based products and services. Mohr Davidow invests in companies that transform industries whether through better infrastructure for our rapidly evolving data-intensive digital world, more efficient power for our planet, or better, more personalized medicine. The firm is thesis driven and focused on discovering the first movers in emerging categories. The partners engage early to have highest impact and to drive the largest outcomes. Category-leading companies funded by Mohr Davidow include: Agile (ORCL); AudienceScience; Brocade (BRDC); Coupa; Genomatica; Infusionsoft; Kabbage; Nanosolar; nLight; ONI Systems (CIEN); Pacific Biosciences (PACB); Panasas; ParAccel; ParAllele (AFFX); Proofpoint; OPXBIO; RainDance Technologies; Rally Software; Rambus; Recurrent Energy (acquired by Sharp Corporation); Rocket Fuel; Shutterfly (SFLY); Simbol Materials; Ticketfly; Visible Measures; and ZeaChem.
- Contact Mohr Davidow Ventures:
- 3000 Sand Hill Road, Bldg 3, Suite 290, Menlo Park, CA 94025
- Rowan Chapman
Alex de Winter
- Rowan Chapman
- Founded in 1993, Montreux Equity Partners, based in Menlo Park, CA, is a li
fe sciences focused venture capital firm that invests in new and emerging pharma
ceutical, biopharmaceutical and medical device companies that bring important th
erapeutic benefits to patients and their physicians.
Montreux has over $ 170 million under management and is currently investing out of funds with over $ 150 million in capital. Montreux investment ranges from $2-$5 million in any giv en financing and up to $10 million over the life cycle of the investment.
- Contact Montreux Equity Partners:
- 3000 Sand Hill Road, Building 1, Suite 260, Menlo Park, CA 94025
- Manish Chapekar
John Savarese, MD
- Manish Chapekar
- Morgenthaler Ventures has worked with outstanding entrepreneurs to build valuable companies for more than 40 years. They have $2.5 billion under management, including $450 million in their current fund (capitalized in October of 2005). Today, their venture capital team focuses its investments in two areas: Information technology and life sciences. Headquartered in Menlo Park, CA, with offices in Boulder, CO; Boston, MA; Cleveland, OH and Princeton, NJ, their passion for company building has earned the respect of their partners and exceptional results for their investors.
- Contact Morgenthaler:
- 2710 Sand Hill Road, Suite 100, Menlo Park, CA 94025
- Hank Plain
- New Enterprise Associates (NEA) is one of the industry's premier venture capital firms. For 21 years, NEA has practiced classic venture capital by investing in early-stage companies and working with management to nurture and build companies of real and lasting value. NEA is now the leading start-up venture investor in the country. NEA shares characteristics with other venture firms but differs in many ways: its size and scope, the number of successful companies it has financed, its geographic reach, the experience and expertise of its partners and its commitment to its entrepreneurs and their companies. Since inception in 1978, more than 100 NEA companies have gone public; more than 60 since 1991.
- Contact NEA:
- 2855 Sand Hill Road Menlo Park, CA 94025
Robert Garland, MD
Josh Makower, MD
- ONSET Ventures is a 20-year-old venture capital firm specializing in information and medical technology-based start-ups that has pioneered a shirt-sleeves style of active collaboration with entrepreneurs, to conceive and develop sustainable businesses of significant value.
We've backed nearly 100 companies since 1984, focusing on early-stage and select later stage enterprises in business-to-business markets. Today, we have more than $700 million under management, and an enviable track record: over 80% of ONSET investments have gone on to achieve successive levels of financing, significantly higher than the industry at large.
- Contact Onset Ventures:
- 2490 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, California 94025
- Prospect Venture Partners is a Palo Alto, California based venture capital firm with over $1 billion of capital under management. The firm is dedicated to investing in outstanding biomedical technology and life science companies. Prospect targets commercially attractive health care enterprises with outstanding entrepreneurial management teams, proprietary products, and innovative technology or services with potential for significant investment returns. The firm invests in companies with a broad range of development and financing requirements including: (a) incubating new companies, (b) investing in first and second venture financing rounds, and (c) participating in later stage private and public companies with proven business models requiring expansion capital.
Prospect Venture Partners seeks to ultimately invest $10-20 million in each company in its portfolio, typically as a lead investor or as a co-lead in an investor syndicate. First round investments most often range from $500,000 to $10 million. Prospect Venture Partners typically has representation on the board of directors for each of its portfolio companies.
- Contact Prospect Venture Partners:
- 435 Tasso Street, Suite 200, Palo Alto, CA 94301
Russell Hirsch, M.D.
- Research Corporation Technologies (RCT)
Research Corporation Technologies in Tucson, Ariz., is a technology investment and management company that provides early-stage funding and development for promising biomedical companies and technologies. RCT focuses on technology investments with origins from universities and research institutions worldwide. Founded in 1987, the company carries on a vision chartered in 1912 by Frederick Gardner Cottrell, a university professor and inventor who championed the transfer of academic innovation to commercial use. RCT has assets of more than $200 million to advance technology development through venture investment, partnerships and special licensing programs. To support these programs, RCT has staff in its corporate office in Tucson, Ariz., and on the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts. RCT also has an affiliate company in the United Kingdom, Cambridge Research Biolventures (CRB), and an alliance with Start-Up Australia in Sydney. RCT employs investment professionals with expertise in the life sciences, development of medical devices and therapeutics, and financial management. RCT professionals support all technology development activities, including managing and coordinating new company formation, filing patent applications and infringement protection, negotiating licenses and other agreements, patents and literature searches and marketing support.
RCT's unparalleled experience and expertise, as well as its financial resources and partnerships, make a powerful combination that gives important new companies and technologies their best chance for commercial success.
- Contact RCT:
- 5210 East Williams Circle, Suite 240, Tucson, Arizona 85711-4410
- Founded in 1979, Sanderling Ventures is amongst the oldest and most established U.S. venture firm focused exclusively on biomedical investing (in the fields of biotechnology, medical devices and information health).
Sanderling focuses on seed and early-stage investing and has developed a unique strategy to enable it to earn consistently high rates of return across multiple vintage years.
Key to Sanderling’s success is the depth of experience of its managers who have a collective 275 years in private equity investing and operational management. The managers have played a leading role in companies that have laid the foundation for the modern biomedical industry including Genentech, Hybritech and Guidant (Advanced Cardiovascular Systems). Most recently, the team has lead some of the largest M&As and IPOs in the industry, including Target Therapeutics ($1.1 bil M&A), Intermune ($125 mil IPO), Cardionet ($81 mil IPO) and Actimis ($515 mil M&A).
- Contact Sanderling Ventures:
- 400 S. El Camino Real, Suite 1200, San Mateo, CA 94402
Tim Mills, PhD
- Split Rock Partners, with offices in Minneapolis and Menlo Park, seeks engagement with entrepreneurs and co-investors who share our zeal for emerging opportunities in healthcare and software, and our determination to transform those opportunities into thriving businesses. In healthcare, we specialize in medical device and specialty pharmaceutical opportunities. In software and services, we focus on enterprise software and business and consumer services. Our primary geographic focus is on companies based in the Upper Midwest and West Coast. We are active venture investors in the sectors we target. The investment professionals at Split Rock Partners collectively have more than 80 years of venture investing and company-building experience. Between our four partners, we have founded or co-founded 13 companies and held CEO roles in 8 start-up companies. We focus on working with entrepreneurs collaboratively, building partnerships with them based on integrity and mutual respect, and working together to nurture promising ideas into successful companies. Additional information about the firm can be found at www.splitrockpartners.com.
- Contact Split Rock Partners:
- 1600 El Camino Real, Suite 290, Menlo Park CA 94025
SV Life Sciences is a venture capital adviser and manager that makes selected investments in businesses with experienced entrepreneurs and management teams.
SV Life Sciences provides finance to businesses at all stages of development and across the human life sciences sector. These sectors range from biotechnology & pharmaceuticals to medical devices & instruments, to healthcare information technology and services. SV Life Sciences currently advises or manages five funds with capital commitments of approximately $1.5 billion which primarily invest amounts of between $1m and $40m in North America and Europe, but will consider innovative investments in other regions. Our team of 32 professionals has a diverse, complimentary set of skills and experience that allow us to tailor a team to work with almost any life sciences business.
- Contact SV Life Science Partners:
- Metro Center 950 Tower Lane Suite 1725 Foster City, CA 94404
- Synergy Life Science Partners is a venture capital firm that helps to form and invests in early stage medical device and combination product (device with a therapeutic payload such as biologics and drugs) companies. We take a synergistic approach with entrepreneurs to build valuable companies through capital allocation, access to our valuable network and our technical, clinical and operational expertise. Synergy focuses on early-stage companies in large therapeutic areas. We seek companies with productive, domain-experienced leadership teams who are winners. We target companies with big ideas that are matched with focused, capital efficient, clinically-driven development plans and sound business models. Our diversified experiences allow and enable us to support the management of companies, both technically and operationally, to enable these companies to scale and prosper.
- Contact Synergy Life Science Partners:
- 3282 Alpine Road, Portola Valley, CA 94028
Mudit Jain, PhD
- U.S. Venture Partners is a venture capital management Firm that invests pri marily in early stage technology, medical, and consumer companies. USVP's objec tive is to finance, and help to build well-managed enterprises of significant va lue in its targeted industry sectors. The Firm seeks people with skills, experie nce, vision, energy and persistence, and is proactive in supporting the entrepre neurs in the identification and achievement of their business objectives. USVP is one of the larger and more prominent venture capital firms on the West Coast. With the significant record of extensive direct operating experience of its partners and as a lead early round investor in many successful companies, the Firm has the ability to provide capital, counsel, financial and management expertise and access through a broad network of relationships.
- Contact USVP:
- 2735 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025
- Alan Kaganov, ScD
Jonathan Root, MD
- Alan Kaganov, ScD
- Versant Ventures is a leading venture capital firm that specializes in investments in game changing medical devices, biopharmaceuticals, and other life science opportunities. Founded in 1999, the firm consists of an experienced team of managing directors committed to helping entrepreneurs build successful companies that impact healthcare and improve quality of life.
- Contact Versant Ventures:
- 3000 Sand Hill Road, Bldg.4, Suite 210, Menlo Park,
Ross Jaffe, MD
Back To Top