Stanford-India Biodesign Frequently Asked Questions
- If I apply to the India fellowship, can my application
also be considered for the regular Biodesign fellowship?
No, once your application for SIB is evaluated, it will be discarded. You will need to re-apply for the other fellowship.
- My degree is in Biotechnology, is that the same as Biodesign?
- No, Biodesign is the process of inventing
medical devices. It is not the same as biotechnology, which generally
involves chemicals, molecules, and smaller biological units. Biodesign
is the study of medical technology innovation - what it takes to invent
- I don't have test scores, can I submit diplomas?
- We need whatever documentation you have regarding your
academic career. If you took national tests and have scores, please submit
those. Otherwise, diplomas or certificates may also be submitted.
- I have an MBBS, may I apply?
- Yes, an MBBS is sufficient to apply for the Stanford
India Biodesign fellowship.
- Can you forward my material to admissions for [MD, Bioengineering,
etc.] at Stanford?
- Due to varying admissions criteria in different departments
at Stanford, we are unable to forward your information to other departments.
Please see the relevant websites for the departments in question to determine
how best to submit your materials.
- Do you have other opportunities for involvement in your
- Generally, the answer is no. We do not have other small
internships or fellowships to offer. However, it is possible to take the
Biodesign Innovation course through our distance learning center: SCPD.
Please see the SCPD
website and look for Biodesign Innovation.
- What are transcripts - is that the same as scores or
- We are looking for mark sheets - transcripts that indicate
the marks you received for each of your courses that you studied in
your academic program.
- May I email my CV to apply?
- No, you must complete the four-part application
online, receive your confirmation and applicant ID and then upload
all materials with that ID number through our website.
- I don't finish my degree until June of 2010,
may I apply for the fellowship that begins in January 2010?
- No, we will not consider applicants who are in the process
of completing their degree during the fellowship year.
- I would like to pursue a masters at Stanford
while I am doing the fellowship. Is this possible?
- No. The fellowship is an intensive year-long academic
program that will not provide sufficient time to complete other academic
- Can I only provide 2 references?
- It is required that you submit 3 references.
To only submit 2 indicates to us that you are not able to complete
the application process. All fellows who have been selected for the
fellowship have submitted 3 references.