Beginning in 2011, Biodesign embarked on a program to
provide students, faculty and fellows at Stanford the opportunity to
work with our Global partners to help solve unmet clinical needs in India,
Singapore, and elsewhere.
We've established two programs - a team support program for projects based on global needs* , and a student exchange program which allows Stanford students the opportunity to work on a global need and travel to our partner countries to help solve that need.
Global Exchange Programs
Read more about our two programs
Anurag Mairal, Director,
Global Exchange Programs
Christine Kurihara, Associate Director, Global Programs
* Global Needs
A global need is one that is derived from an underserved
population in a developing country, often necessitating a low-cost
N E W S
- Mar 2013 The Global Exchange Team to India in 2012 is presenting at the Western Regional International Health Conference on Designing medical devices for India: Constraints and opportunities in a developing nation.
- Feb 2013 Applications are now open for the Global Student Exchange Program for Summer 2013
- Jan 2013 We are happy to announce that we have given out our final Global Exchange Project awards for this program. Best of luck to all of the awardees.
- Nov 2012 Congratulations to Manu Prakash, who was named a Grand Challenges Explorations winner by the Gates Foundation, for his work on the Foldascope. His project has had Global Exchange Funding.
- June 2012 An Article titled “Creating Global Solutions - How Good Design Can Save the World” by Chris Stivers and Kevin Chi was published in San Francisco Medicine magazine, Vol. 85 No. 1 January/February 2012.
- June, 2012 We've awarded 3 grants for this round. See our grant page for details.
- April 2012 We were in the India news! Read more...
- March 2012 Applications are now closed for both the student teams and the grants. Look for next grant funding in Fall, 2012. Next student team application Winter, 2013.
- January 2012 NEW Global Biodesign Student Exchange program - teams of students will work on global needs. Deadline for applying March 30, 2012. Read more.
- January, 2012 NEW Global Exchange Grant FUNDING ROUND initiatied with February 29, 2012 as the deadline for next round of grants. Read more.
- January 2012 - Congrats to Clear Ear who received funding from the California Healthcare Foundation and has been accepted into the Fogarty Institute.
- January 2012 - Congrats to Kate, Nahush, Sonny, Chad and Vidya of the Jaundice Team! Their project on a Screening Device for Neonatal Jaundice in India has been selected by the Spectrum Biodesign Panel for funding as part of our 2012 program. They have been awarded grant funding of $20,000.
- August 26, 2011 - 2nd Round Closed
- July 6, 2011 - The next round (Round 2) of proposals are
being accepted with a deadline of August 26, 2011.
- Feb 10, 2011 - The Program requirements have been modified.
See highlighted areas below.
- Jan 4, 2011 - Our first Global Exchange effort will focus
on hearing loss - the Biodesign Innovation Fellowship White
Team traveled to India in January 2011 to validate a need
in that setting.
- Dec 13, 2010 - C-IDEA is
formed under an $8M NIH grant.