Global Biodesign Programs
The mission of the Stanford global Biodesign programs is
to train the next generation of global medical technology innovators. Key
components of the mission are:
- find and develop in-country innovators in select geographies
- train our partner institutions in the teaching of biodesign methodology
- promote exposure to our US-based fellows and students to foreign medical technology opportunities
- develop devices that are cost-effective and globally relevant
Biodesign's Global History
We have initiated six programs to date.
A pilot program in Mexico at the ITESM was begun in 2006.
This was quickly followed by the creation of the India program (Stanford-India Biodesign) in 2007 with a four-fellow team coming to Stanford in 2008.
Discussions with Singapore began in 2009 and a Program Director was trained at Stanford in 2010; a four-person team will start the Singapore-Stanford Biodesign fellowship in January, 2011.
In 2011, we started the Global Exchange Program. In 2012 this was expanded into a grant making program and global Biodesign student exchange program.
In 2012 we collaborated with the School of Engineering to offer a Chinese Internship Program.
In 2013 we co-hosted the first BME-IDEA (Biomedical Engineering Innovation, Design, and Entrepreneurship Alliance) meeting in Galway, Ireland to connect the many European Biodesign-like programs that have been developed.
In 2013 we initiated Global Biodesign Affiliates. Ireland's BioInnovate Program is our first affiliate.
N E W S
Our Global Programs
- Stanford-India Biodesign
- Singapore-Stanford Biodesign
- Global Exchange Program
- Biodesign Global Affiliates
- China Internship Program
- Global Sourcebook
- BME-IDEA Europe
Global Biodesign Resources
Other Global Biodesign-like Programs
- ITESM, Monterrey Mexico
- Centre for Technology in Medicine and Health (CMTH) - a partnership between Karolinska Institutet, Royal Institute of Technology and the Stockholm County Council in Sweden
- NUI Galway has a fellowship training program in Ireland.
- IRCAD in Strassbourg France has a surgical innovation training program.
- BioCAT - Catalonia Spain has a Biodesign-like program. Read the news.